More About Swaziland / Eswatini
Reverence for one’s elders, respect for others, politeness and kindness are common threads of life in Swaziland/Eswatini.
Swaziland/Eswatini is located at the southernmost tip of Africa, on the eastern coast. It is surrounded by South Africa on the north, west, and south, and Mozambique to the east.
Swaziland/Eswatini is slightly smaller than New Jersey.
Estimated population as of July 2016
Each of Swaziland/Eswatini’s four regions has a major city: Mbabane (pop. 270,000), Manzini (pop. 319,530), Nhlangano (pop. 217,000), and Siteki (pop. 202,000).
Swaziland/Eswatini has 14 airports, only two of which have paved runways. The national railroad, Swaziland/Eswatini Railway, transports only cargo and not passengers. Most travel within Swaziland/Eswatini is done by car or minibus. Approximately 3.2% of the population owns a car.
Swaziland/Eswatini has 14 airports, only two of which have paved runways. The national railroad, Swaziland/eSwatini Railway, transports only cargo and not passengers. Most travel within Swaziland/eSwatini is done by car or minibus. Approximately 3.2% of the population owns a car.
Percentage of people 15 and older who can read and write
The two main traditional Swazi homes are the “bee hive,” a rounded frame made of poles and covered with thatch-bound plaited ropes, and the Sotho hut, which has a pointed, detachable roof on walls of mud and wattle.
Recipe: Sidvudu (Pumpkin Porridge)
1 butternut squash
1 T grapeseed oil
5.3 ounces of polenta
40 ounces water
2 ounces sour cream (replacement for traditional sour milk)
1 t salt
½ t cumin
Dash of nutmeg
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Peel and dice the butternut squash, then place in an oven-proof dish and drizzle with oil. Roast the squash for 45 minutes, until it turns golden.
- Boil the water. Stir in the polenta, cumin, salt and nutmeg, and simmer until it starts to thicken.
- When the squash is done, mash it and stir it into the polenta porridge.
- Add the sour cream and mix completely.
- Serve warm and garnish with pumpkin seeds.