Children’s HopeChest is headquartered in beautiful Palmer Lake, outside of Colorado Springs, Colorado. Our physical space is a reflection of our culture: open, bright, and designed to support the work of our teams in the U.S. and across the globe.
You may apply for an open position:
– By emailing a resume and cover letter to HR@hopechest.org
– By mailing a resume and cover letter to:
PO Box 1190
Palmer Lake, CO 80133
– By submitting your resume and cover letter through
the form below
Please, no phone calls or walk-ins.
LOCATION: Palmer Lake, CO
REPORTS TO: President & CEO
JOB STATUS: Full-time
The Controller position is accountable for the general accounting and financial reporting operations of the organization, to include all financial services, A/R and A/P; insurance activities; the production of regular and timely periodic financial reports; maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to ensure that organization assets are adequately safeguarded and organizational risk is mitigated; enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results; and ensure that reported results comply with financial policies and generally accepted accounting principles and/or international financial reporting standards. The Controller participates in key decisions as a member of the Executive Leadership Team.
Key Job Functions
- Owns responsibility for the maintenance and improvement of an organizational structure and financial database adequate for achieving the department’s goals and objectives
- Oversees the general accounting function, which includes cash management/reconciliation, regular and timely financial reporting, balance sheet management, and database management
- Takes accountability for ensuring that policies and procedures (internal controls) are in place to provide reasonable assurance that organization assets are protected
- Ensures that company financial reports are prepared in compliance with company policies and directives, and U.S. GAAP reporting requirements
- Supervises the completion of tax reporting and State Registration requirements (including income, property, sales and use, payroll, unemployment insurance, and other taxes), insurance reports, 990, 5500 and other reports required by government regulation
- Coordinates work relating to external audits in the periodic review of the company financial records, and is further responsible for the implementation of agreed upon recommendations, related to areas of responsibility, resulting from the audit findings
- Oversees the accounting operations of subsidiary operating countries, especially their control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures
- Manages all banking relationships
- Maintains appropriate files for all official documents of the organization
- Ministry Strategy: Assists in formulating the organization’s future direction and supporting tactical initiatives. Monitor and direct the implementation of assigned strategic business plan initiatives. Develops financial and tax strategies. Develops performance measures that support the organization’s strategic direction
- Oversees all short-term and long-term budgetary planning and cost management in alignment with the organization’s strategic plan. The Controller is responsible for all tools and systems to provide critical financial information to the CEO, Executive Team and Board while making actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations. Reports budget and financial results to the Finance Committee and Board of Directors
- Supervises, directs, and develops Finance staff to accomplish daily requirements and to encourage growth in capabilities, responsibilities, knowledge, and productivity
Duties and Responsibilities
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure and accounting software system
- Ensure an accurate and timely monthly and year end close
- Ensure the timely reporting of all monthly financial information
- Manage the production of, and on-going monitoring of, the annual budget, cash management, and forecasts
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
- Assist in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department
- Provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for capital investments and operational decisions
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements for all aspects of the organization, including charitable registration filings and renewals
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Business Administration, or equivalent business experience and 10+ years of progressively responsible experience for a major organization or division of a large corporation. Prior management experience required.
- Preference will be given to candidates with 5 – 10 years of nonprofit accounting experience, and/or a designation of Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant.
- Experience with international accounting operations and foreign funds management preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to form, lead and develop high-performing teams.
- Ability to work collaboratively across departmental functions.
- Experience in analyzing business performance and developing financial plans within a charitable organization desirable.
- Strong knowledge of U.S. GAAP, internal controls and financial reporting required.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills are mandatory.
- Mature Christian faith, exhibiting a consistent witness for Jesus Christ
- Exceptionally high level of honesty and integrity
- Passionate commitment to HopeChest’s mission and core values supported by a servant’s heart
The position will not include travel as a regular part of the job expectations.
No open positions at this time
Internships and Volunteer Opportunities
REPORTS TO: BRANDING AND COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
TIMEFRAME: SIX-MONTH INTERNSHIP (12 hours a week)
Are you seeking to gain experience in your field? Are you passionate about eliminating the cycle of poverty in some of the most vulnerable communities around the world?
The Social Media Intern position presents a meaningful opportunity to use your marketing, storytelling, and graphic design skills while gaining hands-on experience. (This is an intern position. There will be no compensation or pay with this position.)
- Daily engagement with followers and partners through “likes” and comments on posts relevant to our mission
- Actively engaging with hashtags HopeChest uses
- Creating platform-specific content for each of HopeChest’s platforms (LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Pinterest)
- Reaching out to partners who are traveling or following them to repost their content
- Finding relevant content on other nonprofit or news sites for us to share
- Turning quotes relevant to HopeChest’s mission into compelling graphics
- Making “bundles” of supporting social media posts for Board Members / HopeChest Partnership Leaders / travelers
- Keeping in touch with social media trends
- Creating library of graphics for future social media use
- Using social media analytics to suggest decisions on future social posts
- A degree in (or in process) in Marketing, Journalism, Communications, or similar area
- Experience using and knowledge of most social media platforms (especially Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter)
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop
- Able to express ideas clearly, effectively, and persuasively
- Strong grasp on grammar and excellent storytelling and writing skills
- Strong research skills, and analytical and critical thinking skills
- Able to work efficiently and effectively in a team-based environment
- Possess the skills of being organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated, and professional
- Capability of calling in for meetings using Skype or Ring Central or Google Hangouts
- You have a passion for alleviating global poverty through holistic and sustainable community development
- You are a Christian with a deep commitment to the mission of Children’s HopeChest
- Flexible schedule
- A recommendation letter for your next employer from our Branding and Communications Manager (dependant on intern’s performance)
- Recommendations and endorsements on your LinkedIn profile (dependant on intern’s performance)
- Hands-on mentorship throughout the social media internship
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: The position will not include travel as a regular part of the job expectations. Future travel to job related countries is possible.
REPORTS TO: Sponsorship Administrative Assistant
LOCATION: HEADQUARTERS:PALMER LAKE, CO
JOB SUMMARY: Are you interested in reading about children’s lives from all over the world? You can support Children’s HopeChest by volunteering to read through mail to, and from, our sponsors! You’r time as a volunteer plays an integral part in encouraging healthy relationships between sponsors and sponsored children, and helps our organization to get mail to sponsors/sponsored children as quickly as possible.
As a Sponsor Mail Volunteer, you will be reading mail to ensure there is no problematic content. For this position you will also be stuffing and labeling envelopes and operating a postage meter.
- Needs to be able to understand and follow directions easily
- Needs to be an independent worker
- Flexible schedule
- Any weekday except Thursdays
- Minimum of two hours a week (unless you have so much fun that you want to stay longer)
- Coffee (good local coffee!) and tea during your shift
- Bring a friend!
- Bring your headphones!
- Gain experience working in an international nonprofit environment
If you are interested in making a difference through helping us strengthen and encourage healthy relationships, please contact us at HR@hopechest.org.